On 17 April 2020 the Scheinberg Relief Fund accepted the One South Africa Movement’s proposal to fund Project Apollo a comprehensive programme to source, supply and distribute staple food packages to poor and vulnerable families across Cape Town’s informal settlements in the wake of the COVID 19 outbreak.
• Due to the economic impact of the national lockdown, now in its 7th week, many vulnerable residents are struggling to make ends meet and provide for their families
• To help ease this burden, the Scheinberg Relief Fund generously donated 300 000 to Project Apollo divided into monthly tranches of 100 000 for April, May, June 2020
Progress Update (as of 15 May 2020)
- Number of Distributions Completed -5- (OceanView, Heideveld, Vrygrond, Philippi, Nyanga East)
- Number of Food Parcels: 1150
Distribution of food vouchers to 101 families in Mfuleni, each to the value of R300
Distribution Drive One
Date: Friday, 1 May 2020
Location: Ocean View, Cape Town
Food Parcels Distributed: 150
Joined by World Cup Winning South African Rugby Player, Bryan Habana.
By the end of May 2020, Project Apollo would have distributed 3350 food parcels.
- That is over 400 000 separate meals, feeding over 3000 families for a two-week period
On behalf of the beneficiaries of Project Apollo, we wish to extend our heartfelt thanks to the Scheinberg Relief Fund It is only by your generous giving that we are able to reach poor and vulnerable communities and provide relief in this time of dire need.